Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wednesday evenings are Good evenings

Good news! So do you remember that 20 minute drawing of a bunch of shoes on the floor I was talking about before? The one that I was supposed to take and hour and a half on? Yea, so I put it up on the wall this morning in class where we all look at everyone’s and Professor Webb goes over what’s good and what’s bad, and mine looked like everyone else’s pretty much! So I totally got away with it simply because the rest of the class doesn’t follow the times he says to spend on things. I was psyched! And my other two assignments were pretty good, as usual. Not spectacular, but almost always pretty good because I spend a lot of time on them.

So today we drew logs. Yep. Logs. Not a simple round firewood type log. Nope. Complicated logs. Really complicated logs. With vine charcoal. Remember? The stuff I hate? Yup. That stuff. Complicated logs in vine charcoal. How… exasperating. So we did 3 40-minute drawings in vine charcoal, and each one I did, it was maybe a tiny inch better, but that’s good! So our homework is to do a 3-4 hour one in the same way, but clearly, a longer one, so it should be that much more developed. It should certainly be an experience. But I’m not dreading it like I did the multiple-shoe one. I’m slightly getting a better handle on the vine charcoal.

This is my log.


So then I met up with Adah, Caitlyn, and Matt for lunch. Man was it good to see Matt! That kid is HILARIOUS and I’m guaranteed to feel happier once I’ve seen him for a little while. He’s really awesome and so funny, he makes me happy to be around. So few people can just genuinely make you laugh these days…

After lunch, of course, we drew the figure. But before lunch when I was showing my teacher the drawings I’d done last night in the Open Model session, and I mentioned how horrible I am at the gestures, and he was like, no they’re not totally horrible, and I was explaining something, I don’t know what, but I was using my left hand to gesture as I was talking because I was leaning on my right hand as I was sitting. So he stopped me and said, look! That’s so interesting! Are you right handed? Yes? And you’re gesturing with your left hand. And I had an “aha!” moment right along with him that I could use my left hand to do the gestures. He told me my right hand was too delicate, and that’s true, that’s the problem with my gestures. Gestures are supposed to be bold, angry, really taking an emotion of the shape, so if I didn’t have the capability to get lost in soft gentle lines, maybe the frustration of drawing with my left hand would create the gesture of the figure for me. Does that make sense? It was so cool! So then in the afternoon when we did our gesture drawings (the quick one minute drawings that take on the action of those pose the model is in, for those of you who have forgotten) he made us draw with our crappy hand, and boy, it was awesome! It was one of the most fun things I’ve done! So now I have something to make my gesture drawings have energy, life! It’s pretty cool, and for once, I’m kinda excited to go to the open model session =D

This is a left handed gesture drawing! Do you see how it's better than that other one I posted? It's still not great, but it's deffinately better, and I'll post a really good one when I do it next Tuesday at the open model session!


So then we dealt with straight lines only, dealing in an axial sense with the inside of the form, no contour lines! (lines around the form, they make it look flat instead of 3-dimensional). And then we dealt with cross contour lines, like a wire frame had been made to look exactly like a human. Does that make sense? I pretty much sucked at both of those! But that’s okay =) So our other homework was to use 3 hand outs he gave us to do cross contour or axial-straight line drawings like the ones we practiced in class.

This is an example of an axial drawing.


This is an example of a cross-contour drawing.


And THEN! I decided to go check my mail, for the hell of it. Sure, why not? I never get mail, but what does it hurt to wanted over there, stick my key in, open my box up, and see it empty, then proceed back to my room? I HAD TWO LETTERS! Yup. I know. Pretty spiffy, huh? I’m juiced. I opened them right away, but I haven’t read them yet because I paused to write this and post pictures. But yay! THANK YOU, YOU AWESOME PEOPLE WHO SENT ME LETTERS! (a.k.a. Grama and Molly!) I’m so excited!

These are my LETTERS! =D


In about an hour, I’m off to English. I’ll probably write about anything interesting again afterwards.

P.s. Hey Grama? Can you inform everyone that I’m writing again? Because you quite possibly are the only one reading this on account of the fact that I didn’t write for 5 weeks. AND EVERYONE SHOULD SEND ME LETTERS!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie
You should be hearing from others soon. In the family that is. Hopefully your friends have been checking .
I find the drawings very interesting. I'm not sure i really understand what that gesturing is about. I'll study the drawings from earlier to later as see if i can see what's changing. Love you.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home