Classes....
Anyways, so the first week learned about the different sorts of shots, like long shot, close up, over the shoulder, panning, tilting, etc. We learned about 15 of them or so. Then out homework was to take 4 different things in 5 different shots for about 5 seconds each and then to get 5 sounds with the lens cap on. I did my friend Adah drinking a Starbucks because we took Michele to Grand Central Station because she was going home for the weekend (it was the long weekend). By the way, that counts as one of my times leaving campus and I barely got out of the subway system! But Grand Central Station was neat to see. And I did a few things at South Street Sea Port. The sounds were fun. The point of that assignment was just to help us learn the camera. For those of us that don’t know… like me… some kids already know a whole bunch!
So the 2nd class, we watched everyone’s projects and we learned about lighting. We brought in some lights and set them up and I was the subject, so we hooked up a camera to the monitor so everyone could see what it looked like on screen and how 3-point lighting worked and what it looked like with certain lights and where and all that jazz. We learned about the types of lights and how to set them up and stuff. It was neat because it reminded me of Tommy and it really made me realize how much he knows about all that stuff for the theater! And I enjoyed being the subject because the lights made me look pretty as opposed to the florescent lights in the room. So then our assignment that week was called Obsessions. The point was to get some sort of repetition, like short quick shots of a eye twitch, or someone eating cereal over and over. It was all short quick shots, but it could be interpreted very loosely, like all of her assignments. So I did my friend Michele collecting Soda tabs, you know, the openers, because she really collects them! It was fun. I mean, it was great, but I did it in a sort of modern silent film way, and my teacher recognized and liked that. For some reason it didn’t occur to me to se and sort of talking. Maybe it’s because I’m used to having to express everything silently in photography but still get the emotion or thought through. So mine was funny, but a few kinds actually edited theirs even though it wasn’t the assignment, but they already knew how to and they were AMAZING! Oy, they were really really cool. One of the kids who edited was my friend Tudor, and it was really awesome. And then a really interesting one this one kids did was taking the lens cap on and off in the shot, so he would start recording, take it off, get a few seconds, and then put it back on, and it ended up really well and told a really neat sort of his day that way.
So the next week, we watched all those that I just explained, and then learned about microphones, the different types, how the work, the chords, etc. And we tested them all out to see which worked the best. It was funny, we filmed two people while two other people were outside talking into the microphones and it made for some really funny conversations! The people being recorded just said peas and carrots and watermelon the whole time and it was so funny! And then no one but the two people outside talking and the person recording inside with the headphones on actually knew what was being said. So then we watched it and they were pretty funny. So then our assignment was the In-Camera Edit that I explained in the entry about yesterday that I spent with mom. As I said, that one was fun! We’ll watch them today and learned something new and then get a new assignment. I’ll bet this one is going to be preparing to learn how to edit next week, so I wonder what it’ll be! Regardless, I’ll bet we’re going to learn editing next week. We had to get an external hard drive for all that because we need to store our work somewhere. Oh yea, and Tudors really cute because he’s called me a bunch of times, first because he didn’t have a tape, then because he needed my camera, and then to ask me about which hard drive I got, and I just found it sweet. That’s all. So film is neat, and it’s one of my best classes for sure. It doesn’t have the mounds of homework of some of the others, and regardless, I want to be doing it! So when it does, I won’t mind.
Now for English. Yup. I take English in Art school. My teacher is Professor Kelly, and he’s and old white guy like the rest. But not in the way of his personality. Look in the dictionary under “tangents,” and not the mathematical use of the word. We haven’t done or learned anything really. He just liked to talk. And he’s pretty funny and it’s pretty interesting because he presents all sorts of side to arguments that you wouldn’t even think of, and he just has silly stories. But then you think, man, I sit here twice a week for an hour and a half each time (Monday’s and Wednesday’s) when I really could be somewhere else. And he doesn’t even take roll. But I have that class with Morgan, which is cool. But we have gotten one assignment! We got it last Monday. It was to write an argument about anything you wanted, not necessarily in the conventional way argumentative essays are written, it just had to be convincing. At first I was bummed because I couldn’t think of anything to write about. But I decided to gear towards my major, and I did that Crisis or war Photography (a.k.a., photojournalism) is not exploitative, because some people say it is. And I called Dad because he always has so many good ideas, and he helped me get out some notes on what I wanted to write. So then I organized it into 6 topics and wrote long paragraphs like I always do, and it ended up being 6 pages! So I’m sure I’ll need to shorten it, but all he wants is a rough draft today. I didn’t even re-read it once I was done writing because I knew I’d have that chance after he went over it. I assume he’ll read them and hopefully make notes and give them back Wednesday. But I really liked my essay and I really liked what I had to say and I liked the topic and I had fun writing it, so it was all good. We’ll see what happens with it. The only other thing he’s talked about besides arguments is the English language and how it’s pretty ridiculous. He wants to teach us not to use meaningless overused phrases and words, like “incredible.” Think about that word and how we use it, it doesn’t mean what we say, in fact, it’s come to mean nothing really. That’s his point anyway, and my example. So all in all, he’s fine, and realty, I do not mind how little we do, I promise, not one bit, because I have SO MUCH other work that if he was giving us essays all the time or something, I might collapse. I’ll post my final draft when it’s finished so you all can read it! =D
All right, so I have about 15 minuets until class, not enough time to start writing about a new class, so I’ll return after film. Monday’s are my mostly relaxed days because I try to get all of my homework done by the end of the weekend for the next coming week, other than Art History because I have that class on Friday, so I do the homework mostly Thursday. I’ll leave you with my schedule:
Monday: Film 1:00-4:00 English 6:30-8:00
Tuesday: Light, Color, and Design (a.k.a. LCD) 9:00-12:00 and 2:00-5:00 Open Drawing 6:00-8:00
Wednesday: Drawing 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00 English 6:30-8:00
Thursday: No classes, generally spent doing homework… the WHOLE day…
Friday: Photography 9:00-12:00 Art History 1:00-4:00
Saturday: Homework
Sunday: Homework
=D BYE! I’m off to Film!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home