Wednesday, September 27, 2006

English! (oh, that jumbled language...)

So, as it turns out, I actually do think I’m learning quite a bit from my English teacher! And I really really enjoy the class and enjoy listening to my teacher. Sure, we don’t do a whole lot, and sure he talks the whole time and goes off on tons of tangents and what not, and sure, it doesn’t always seem to relate, but actually, I think it does all relate and he’s just very unconventional, rather than a bad teacher. I mean, we could probably be physically writing more, but then we’d lose out on all the other neat stuff he’s telling us, all the crazy stories and ideas he’s implanting in our brains, the way he presents both sides of arguments and makes them both seem ludicrous and makes you stop and re-think your position and you realize you don’t actually know and you have to come up with something new all together, not just listen to the sides given to you. He’s teaching me new ideas, if nothing else, or telling me stories and things I’d never know other wise. He’s blunt, extremely so, and I like it. At first, it kinda knocks you back a bit, but then you get used to it. And then, you think, my goodness, is he really saying anything at all? But then you finally realize, yep, he is, everything he’s saying does all relate and it all has a point and he’s actually thought it out and tells his stories to make the point he wants to make to us. I think he’s an extremely interesting man, maybe crazy though. I think he is a little crazy, at least. And he kinda makes me sad, like he really really enjoys talking to us and he would love it if he could always have people to talk to who would be interested and would respond, you know? The class is pretty interested, so at least that’s good. I’d feel super bad if there was some asshole making wise cracks. He really liked my essay, he actually liked everyone’s for the most part. The problem with mine was exactly what I knew, it was too long because I repeated myself a bunch. That’s always my problem hehe. But he said that the repetition came from my passion for the subject and that my arguments were good and done well. So it should be a cinch to edit, I knew it would be. I mean, I just didn’t even bother to re-read it after I wrote it because I knew it was supposed to be rough, and had it needed to be finished at thee time, I would have re-read it about 3 times, tightened and shortened it up, and there you go, and that’s all I need to do now. When you have a lot to say about something, essays really aren’t so bad =) as I said, I’ll post the final draft. I know it’s an essay and I know the groan most people give about them, but this one’s interesting. At least I think so. And my passion, of course, comes from the fact that I’m defending what I intend to be my life. So there you go. So yea, as much as we aren’t writing a lot, or reading a lot, like a conventional English class “should” go (emphasis on the quotation marks), Professor Kelly really makes us think about things, even if it’s not for an assignment or anything. But what is an assignment but arbitrary, anyways? He makes us think for the sale of thinking. He makes us think for the sake of Life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home