Continuing…
I spent all of last weekend doing homework. All of it. I wrote the Art History paper, I researched candidates for English, and I worked on my Story Board and Treatment from video on Saturday, and then I painted my illuminations painting for LCD and drew a picture for drawing (which didn’t come out well, which is why I didn’t show it or tell you about it. One of the un-liked assignment’s I’ve had). So my weekend was so boring, so boring… but yea, I got all my work done! I always do. (This is sarcasm, though yes, I always do, I’m not excited about that.) I decided that this weekend it wouldn’t happen again, which is why I got my LCD and one of my drawings done so quickly. But now I have my Self-Portrait to do still, and boy, am I putting it off. I’m scared to do it and I just don’t really feel like it. I feel like coming home.
But the candidate research! That was awesome. I wrote like 6 pages of notes, I’m sure by far the most because I always go over the top for things like that. I researched Tennessee with Harold Ford Jr. (Dem, though not much of one being that he’s from Tennessee) and Bob Corker (Rep). I looked all through their websites and searched for commercials they had done and watched them online and found out all about how they were campaigning and what they stood for and it was really fun to do. I chose that race because it was a mainstream weird one, with that whole racist commercial and all (Harold Ford Jr. potentially could have been the first Black senator from the south since Reconstruction) but in all honestly, Bob Corker had more appeal just in term of personality, considering they were both quite conservative, and I’m not surprised he won, though it was by a small margin.
I particularly liked doing the research because it got me thinking about politics again and how interested I am in them. I was pretty annoyed with everyone I know, because I don’t know any one here that voted. They though I was being a hypocrite until I reminded them that I still have 23 days (from today) to go until my birthday, and yes, I would have voted! But whatever, it’s too late now and it’s just so hard to change voter apathy. We’ll just hope they vote in the next presidential election, please. I didn’t research California because I already knew who was going to win everything, it wouldn’t have been as interesting as finding out about another state. I also watched stuff from Missouri with that whole Michael J. Fox thing. How awful! What a decent, good man, and how awful of that evil creep to say he was faking it somehow. I love Michael J Fox. Me and Dad were talking about how the only person who would even stop and think that he’d be faking it as a tactic to win would be someone who would do that himself, because we didn’t even consider that he might be, let alone accusing him of that! You get me? Sheesh. But how AWESOME is it that we wont BOTH the Senate AND the House and we also won more Governorships! SWEET! I have very high hopes for the Next Presidential election, in which I get to vote! And of course we all know how Nancy Pelosi is the SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE! THIRD IN LINE TO THE PRESIDENT! FIRST WOMAN EVER! Sweetness. I hate not having very much time, because I would be doing all sorts of research and reading all sorts of newspapers and magazines about all this. I find it fascinating.
On a completely different note, Great Expectations was a crazy good movie. Both crazy, and good, and crazy good! We all know it came from the book by Charles Dickens? What a weird story, but a genius to come up with something like it, it was so different and refreshing. I want to read the book now, not that I have time. I’m still trying to get through another book, Everything is Illuminated, which might not happen until much later, and then I want to read the Biography of Malcom X. Today me and Morgan and Tudor are supposed to go see The Science of Sleep, and I hope that happens because my attempt at making this weekend better than last in sorta failing. I wish I had more time to read! I love reading SO MUCH! Send me good books! Buy me good books! I love books! Books are one of the best things in the world! Bonnie’s Birthday, anyone? Speaking of birthday’s, I have FOUR to catch up on and I don’t know How I’m gunna do it! Annie, Naomi, Alix, and Jessica’s. I love all of you so much! I’m so sorry I’m a bad friend and didn’t manage to get you presents! I will. I’ll make it up to you!
So… Yoga. It’s pretty great. It calms you down. It’s sorta meditation. You think about your breathing, being in this moment, and all the stretches are de-toxins, so you feel great. I take it twice a week now, at lunch between LCD segments on Tuesday, and at 6:30 on Thursdays. All the other days, starting this past week, I’ve gone to the gym and gone on the weight machines. One day I ran for 15 minuets too, and a few days I stretched a bunch. I’ve always wanted to get down into the splits, so maybe this time it’ll finally happen. I don’t know if I’ll be getting to the gym today though, which is okay because I think my muscles need a rest and a chance to repair themselves. I don’t know when we’re going to the movie, but soon I would think. I guess if that falls through I will be going to the gym. And doing my self-portrait. Ugh. I don’t know when I’m going to get that done. Tonight I’m going to SDS, for the second time ever… I haven’t been going because it just seems really immature to me. But Morgan pointed out that well, it is, naturally. We’re college kids. Which is fair. But it’s hard to go to a meeting where nothing productive seems to get done and we’re fighting for things like chalk (though I know I got agitated about that). But tonight we’re supposedly watching a documentary called the Weather Underground, which I’m sure all of you know about. They were from the 70’s. I’ve watched part of it, it’s really really interesting! If any of you want me to explain what it’s all about, I can. So… but if that falls through, again, I guess I’m going to the gym and doing my self-portrait. Apparently, Caitlyn is my gym buddy now, because I haven’t hung out with her in forever, and it’s a good way to “hang out” without really hanging out all gung-ho, meaning, when you’re at the gym, you don’t talk much because you’re working out. It’s fine with me. We’ll keep each other on track with going. That’s the plan, anyways. I’m trying to be healthier, I have been for forever. And I do a really decent job with the eating aspect, but not so much with the exercise aspect. I wish they had dance here. But yea, that’s why I’m trying to stick to this gym and yoga thing.
So then, Piano. What fun! I started playing a song last week. Bach. That one that everyone knows, but I can never remember when I try to tell people which one it is. It’s a good one, though. And he’s still complementing me on my progress. The scales are going good, I’m enjoying them, My fingering is getting better, putting both hands together and stuff. It’s all great! The only problem is that the piano is located in the lounge which is below the main entry to the dorm, and stupid people who really much have a crappy life have nothing better to do than make fun of people who practice piano as the walk by. It really gets on my nerves because it makes me embarrassed and puts a damper on my excitement when I’m playing. There’s no reason to make fun of me! They’ll be on the elevator in TWO SECONDS they can deal with my scales for that long! Serious. Sheesh.
So then, friends, I guess was the last thing I wrote the other day to remember what I needed to talk about. I don’t have too many friends here, really. I mean, I have Morgan, and had Adah but I haven’t seen her in a while and she doesn’t seem to be making an effort to see me, really. I have other friends which are just class time friends, and that’s about it. And I really really miss all my friends from home. I’ve been here for 12 weeks, I have 5 more until I get to come home. I kinda want to go home now.
Luckily, my family is coming in a week! I know that will brighten my spirit and get me through the last 3 weeks of horrible Finals until I get to go home. 5 weeks. I’m counting down. I have 3 weeks until my birthday! But 18 really doesn’t mean much. At least it doesn’t feel like it really. But anyway, I can’t wait for a week from now for Thanksgiving break. I wish I had Monday and Tuesday off, too. I haven’t missed any classes yet, really, so I could always miss them if I wanted and it wouldn’t make a difference. I’m going to be furious with any teacher that gives me work over Thanksgiving. We all KNOW they wont have any. They can give me work I can get done on any day besides the days I have off. I will be so angry…
So in response to Grama and Dad’s comments, I’m excited about the Long Island Pictures too! Can you tell?! And the gestures, glad you enjoy them. And the Illumination, haha, it’s decent, Grama, but I suppose you’d have to be in my class to try and decipher what my crazy teacher wanted. It’s tough going being in the class, I can’t imagine figuring it out outside the class. But it looks neat though, yea? It’s decent, like I said. Hehe. Norma, glad you liked the Pratt cup! Hehe. I just remembered how you had all those glasses and mugs with all sorts of different stuff on them, and I thought it would be appropriate =) Norma, you know what’s really funny though? In your comment you said how Port Jefferson really was just like Olympia, and that’s EXACTLY what I said when we very first drove into town! Did anyone already tell you that? I said to Dad “I’m not surprised Norma lives where she does now, it looks just like here!” How funny that I was right on! Yea, it is sad we wont get to see you for Christmas =( but hopefully soon after, right?
What else? I know there was something else. Probably just that I’ve been doing so well here, it seems, for so long, but then last week I was so… bored, jaded, homesick, etc. I mean, not severely, but it was the first week that I was like, BLAH I’m sick of this! I want to come home! I want to see everyone I know and love, I’m sick of these people I barely know at all!
Tommy, Molly, Mom and Dad, I can’t WAIT to see you in a week! Grama, Laura, Peter, AJ, and Heather, I can’t WAIT to see you at Christmas time! Norma and Tony, I’d better be able to see you for Spring Break or something! Mine in the second week of March, I believe. Naomi, Hanna, Sophie, Anna, Jessica, Alix, Annie, Allison…. I can’t wait to see you all when I get home. I miss every one so much. My winter break is going to be so AWESOME.
Well, folks, I think that’s it. Keep calling and writing me if you are, or start to if you aren’t, because keeping in touch with my home base grounds me and keeps me sane, along with usually making my day or making my week. Serious. Dad, do you still have a copy of that NY Times you told me to pick up? I didn’t manage to, but if you do, bring it when you come next weekend! I can’t wait to see you and the rest of the family!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home