Tuesday, October 03, 2006

There's a reason to be pissed...

First of all, Grama, I'm so glad to hear that the card motivated you to paint! That's awesome and it makes me super happy! It did turn out pretty neat, huh? Oh man, that's so cool! I'm glad you're painting! You'll have to send me some pictures.

Next, LCD went okay today, except that we got the most tedious assignment we've had so far. So that's what we did all day, and 4 or 5 hours of that only got me 1/9th of the way through, so I'ma have to figure out a way to speed things up or something... I might be being too careful and that's the problem. Dunno, but that's our only homework. We have to reproduce this painting with all sorts of crazy colors in a tiny 8th of an inch grid with colored pencils by color averaging, which I explained in an earlier entry. BLAH!

But now to the point. So you remember that group I just mentioned? SDS, students for a Democratic Society? Yea, so the first thing I was a part of was today. We handed out chalk to everyone and told them to "take back our campus" because apparently, you're not allowed to draw in chalk on the sidewalks on campus but there's no rule. And security here is really anal and rude and full of it so they make people stop if they are. Like, there's a four square club (awesome, right?!) and they have to use tape to draw their squares! It's ridiculous, it's not as if it's spray paint or something! So anyways, someone in the group had a personal tiff with security because he was drawing in chalk, so we decided to hand it out and get people to draw because we should be allowed to, first of all because it washes away, second of all because it's our campus, we're paying for it, and we're art students! Of all things, drawing in chalk should be encouraged! So me and Morgan went around writing "Why Not?" and we wrote "We love free speech" and drew rainbows and bunnies and everything harmless. For a little while, nothing happened and security passed us by and didn't say anything. Until finally, this crazy lady comes out and starts yelling at us to stop and next thing we know, here comes security and a few other old men who I assume were part of the administration and this lady is there telling us it's silly and a waste of her time and we could be spending our time better etc. and we're like, okay, it's silly to you, so effing LEAVE and go do whatever you were doing that was so important to you in the first place because we're just drawing in chalk and we don't think it's silly. And what a stupid woman, because of COURSE it matters to her if she's out there bothering! So blah blah she was helluve annoying and they ended up taking our IDs and I guess putting them in the system because we were "defacing school property" when of course, it'd be gone in a matter of days because it's probably gunna rain soon. I managed to not get my ID taken, but regardless, I'm sure they wont do anything much anyways. I mean, come on, if they hadn't bothered to come out and bitch about it, we'd have been satisfied and most likely never drawn in chalk again! And we kept asking what exactly was wrong with it, and you know stupid people, they don't really have a reason at all, so she just kept saying it was silly, and we said, good for you to think that! So leave, because we don't think it's silly, we want to be able to draw in chalk.

Point is, it was ludicrous, and not even something important. But hell, we proved our point, at least to ourselves. I honestly didn't think it would cause such a scene. It was absolutely ridiculous. So I called Dad to see what he thought and he had a lot of interesting ideas, depending on what our goal of it all actually was. My favorite was to actually paint ourselves and lie down on the ground instead, because then we could get up and walk away and the ground would be unharmed, so they couldn't really yell at us. I'm going to suggest it and we'll see how it goes over with everyone, but no matter what, I think if done right, that's an awesome idea. And the thing about SDS, as we were telling that arrogant clueless woman, is that we participate in things we think are important, like Protesting Bush at the UN, or going to the Darfur Rally in Central park. We asked her if she would like to come with us and see. Now, I know chalk is just chalk, and personally, whatever, I doubt I'd have had the urge to use it otherwise. But what if I did? What if I had a project or something? I just don't understand. I just don't understand.

So as you can see, there's a reason to be pissed. There's a reason my life is headed the way it is, a reason I need to help start the revolution. If the administration is going to get so worked up over Chalk, then clearly it means there is terribly more to be worried about... If we can't write in chalk... what else can we not do? And what's going too far? What's wrong with chalk? It's our right and our free speech. I know, it's chalk. But eventually, the train of though leads up to the very essence of our society.

And then, of course, I should have taken pictures, but I was trying to avoid getting my ID taken, even though I’m allowed to take pictures and stop if they ask me to stop. In the future, I will be documenting like a mad woman. It’s gunna be my life, right? Better get used to it and get some practice on not as epic things.

Give me your thoughts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES. THE ESSAY WAS WONDERFUL.

..so I didn't accually read it. I was just looking through all of your other blogs and I MISS YOUUUUUUU. It's not fair ):

why do Adah and Tudor get you? I NEVER SAID I WAS GONNA SHARE!!

<33

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh oops that was supposed to be for the essay bloggy [:

Anyways- er- PARTY! [:

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home