The beginning of the Revolution...
I'm watching Law and Order right now and this episode is about young black girls being violently raped and murdered by a serial killer which is completely horrifying in itself, but since they're black the media doesn't give a shit. And before that I was watching Animal rescue stuff on Animal Planet and it was hella sad. HA they hella just got him! He refused to give his DNA, the creep, but they got it by pretending to knows his glasses of and crushing them on "accident" and lifted the prints that way! okay so I know it's fake, but one of the posters from the community arts class hit me hard because it said "Oakland. How many will Die." And that's what stuff like this reminds me of. Point is, holy crap. It's overwhelming, and I don't know a handful of it.
So my teacher, Curtis, and my TA, Jaydan, were so great! I didn't know I could have such good teachers! Especially after Kirstyn and Sean last year. But Eddie said the teachers and staff at Pratt are really great, so I'm juiced! I absolutely can't wait to get there and get started doing art for four years and then for the rest of my life! It's so exciting to FINALLY be doing what I want to be. I'm leaving in the 17th in three weeks! YIKES! But anyway, Curtis was so great and Jaydan was so sweet, I mean he really became one of our friends and was hilarious and so much fun to have in class and he was always willing to help us do something. Mary and Jesse were there other funny ones....Oh man... Mary's a crazy one and Jesse's really cool. She's from Baltimore, so when she comes to New York she's gunna call me and come see me. Actually, I told everyone to do that so I hope that happens with at least someone! Speaking of which, I have absolutely no idea what happened to Allison. I needa call her! Got her! Cool.
*2 hours later*
Man I absolutely love that girl! I love talking to her SO much! I hope we'll get to see each other Sunday (that's the plan). Oh, and tomorrow I'm supposed to go on a date with Hanna to see John Tucker Must Die. It looks so ridiculous that we gotta go see it. So... What was I saying? Right. Class. It was awesome. Completely. We ended up making about 7 things I guess, but 2 MAIN projects. First we sawed out a cuff bracelet, mine was a splat. Never mind. haha. And then we started hammering a copper bowl. Good God that was ridiculously hard! I never finished mine (don't tell Curtis that!) I wish I had but he wanted it to be 2 and 1/2 inches high and I could not for the life of me get it past 2! I wish I had just finished it and made it all pretty at 2" but I mostly just avoided it. Then we started a crazy project based on a word. Well, it started with an object, random one we pulled from our bag, innocent and unknowing what it would become in the end... And then we had to draw it and describe it with 25 different words. And mind you, there were TWO objects we had to do. Damn. Then we picked our 5 favorites words from the lists and drew them abstractly 10 times each. Then we picked our favorite 5 drawings and elaborated them into a project. And then my Project ended up being water spilling from and imaginary glass. It came from Chapstick. Yup. I know. But that's what happened! It turned out really awesome though. Not perfect, but hell, what is my issue with that perfect stuff anyways? It was my first metal project! So I made it look like water by hammering and then I shined it up and it looked uber neat. I was really happy with it. In the mean time, we made a silver simple band ring. Oh man, that thing had to be PERFECT! That was the crazy lesson in perfection if anything... I got an A- on it though! The minus was from filing too much at the seam. I like it. Then we had to do a piece for the body. A sight specific object that talked about something, like the inside of the body, or a metaphor, or something. I had so many more ideas for that one. I really struggled with the first water one. I actually scratched my original idea after I had been working on it because I didn't like it. For the body piece I wanted to talk about a woman's sexuality. I was either going to do an egg that was part of a piece of lingerie that opened and hella birth control pills, which was a comment on how younger women are supposed to be sexy and it's trendy to be having sex and the pill box would help you remember to take your pill. It was supposed to be ironic in some way, but the idea was unfinished. Or I was going to do the veins just above the breasts and play with cleavage and have them drape over the back and stick up into the neck, talking about how restricted women are as simply sex objects, something pretty to look at, but the veins underneath aren't seen. And the veins are about how vulnerable the are, them sticking into the neck and being so exposed, but people aren't looking underneath, they're looking at the breasts. But then time forced me to do a different piece, so I did a simplified version of the veins in a hand. It wasn't talking about anything, but it turned out real neat! I wish I could have done a lot more though. Some of the veins are silver and some copper turned blue. It slips on the wrist and then there's a loop for the pointer finger and the veins lie in a relaxed position in top of the hand. Then we had to do a bezel setting. I got Rainbow Topaz stones and set them yesterday and I'm going to be making really neat earrings out of them. Setting those was so STRESSFUL because it was so tiny and so damn easy to melt! We learned raising, soldering (pronounced sodering), setting stones, polishing, hammering techniques, etc. It was great. I had a Blast. And the class made all the difference. Like I said, Mary and Jesse were tons of good times, and Amber and Andrea were really cool too. I didn't really get to know Hillary or Paul, but they were really nice kids, and Julie was really great too, but I didn't get to hang out with her too much which was too bad. But man, I remember a split second ago when the month started I was thinking how if Pratt is anything like this class, my next four years are about to be freakin amazing! I'm JUICED!
So apparently Allison didn't have my number and that's why she didn't call! I know Allison from ballet and somehow we've kept in touch since. She's such a cool girl, wants to change the world like me, and is one of those rare people that Gets it. She's going to school in Canada and is doing well right now and I can't wait to see her! But everything's about to be crazyness because my mom and Tommy and Molly (brother and sister) are leaving in 4 hours for Peru! yea, I know! Dad has exams to give this week and man, I just need to relax before Pratt. And we got a dog a few weeks ago, and we need to look after her. But so I haven't seen Tommy for 2 weeks because he's been at camp, and now I wont for two more! And then when he gets back, all four of them are going to Reno for a bowling tournament and I'm staying home to look after Gracie (our puppy!) and then 3 days later I'm OUT. So me and Tommy and Molly wont get to chill any more before I leave! It's crazy.
Some time this week I'm going up to Davis to spend some time with Ykoha, a friend from school, because she got an apartment there and invited me! That should be really fun! I roomed with her on Close-Up, the week long trip to Washington D.C. and I was worried because I didn't know her well before that, but she is one of the sweetest girls I've ever met and I got so lucky and we had so much fun! So seeing her will be really cool. And I'll finally see Annie around Wednesday! Did I already say that? Well, I'm excited because she is beyond one of my very bestest friends and we haven't seen each other yet this summer! What the hell?! I sure don't know! YAY! She's back packing as we speak, which is neat, I wanna go back packing. I haven't been in forever!
So the show today was really cool. I liked looking at everyone else's stuff! It was far more interesting than last year for some reason. I was sad I didn't take Kirstyn's class because I cannot WAIT to take color photography! They canceled that class though, not enough people, which is why I took Jewelry. It was a bitter-sweet situation, but mostly sweet because Jewelry was SWEET and I'm taking photo in college (duh!) so it's all good. But I remember last year being so juiced to take color and I still haven't! Here's the thing about color vs. black and white: black and which can be really cool, but it's given too much credit in my opinion. I think that we're just so used to color every where, and it's jousts not done well because we're used stupid snap shots taken with crappy disposable cameras, but good color photography is amazing! Black and white can be done well too, but I think it's over-hyped because it's something different for people to see so they think it's more interesting. Speaking of which, EVERY ONE OF YOU NEEDS TO SEE THIS MOVIE:
Born Into Brothels
it's a freakin amazing documentary about kids of prostitutes born in the Red Light District and this women who came to photograph the women and ended up being close to the kids and teaching them photography. IT"S SO GOOD and it was crazy because it's EXACTLY the idea I'm aiming for in my life.
So anyway, I was looking at the Digital Photo stuff at the show last year and I was so jealous and so exited to take it and this year I did the same thing but man I gotta take B&W again this year grrrr. But it's all good because I had so much fun doing what I was doing! And it will all come in due time. I'm wondering if I should skip the B&W because I already took it (and can have my credits transfered) and based on money that's a good idea, but other wise, I dunno.
I got my AP scores! I got a 4 in U.S. History! Yup! My 5 in government transferred into credits at Pratt which is uber cool! And I got my schedule YIKES. But I'll write it in here later. I'm sooooooo tired, but I have 3 weeks to sleep so I'm not worried, and it's been so long since I;ve written anything anywhere that I have so much to say.
So I was taking to Kirstyn (I sure can get off topic quick) and she's such an amazing lady! She's so encouraging and I love taking to her and she told me to make sure I kept in touch with her and let her know how everything was going and stuff. She actually wrote me a recommendation for school which was uber cool! She said she's send me it! yea! Because you know how you promise not to read it? Well now it doesn't matter! And I'm really curious! And she also suggested I use this site to blog and stuff and to send her the address. I like this sight, simple, lesser known, I can post photos instead of writing if I want to... Cool beans. AJ (my cousin) was the first to suggest I start a blog and I think it's a really excellent idea (hence why I started it so quickly!) I was taking to him because Andrea wants to go to Evergreen State, a school in Washington (state) which is where AJ went. It's a really good school. Beautiful campus, what it's known for. She wants to study writing like Annie. Me and Annie are gunna be friends forever, be old ladies together, and be journalists together. It's already a plan.
So now my hands and my shoulder are cramping from typing (I don't do a lot of it) which is a weird sensation. hehe.
What else? I made a decision not to buy any more clothes. WAIT. Hear me out. Not in a superficial, 'I buy too much, I should cut back' kinda way, but in a conscious 'I don't like supporting corporations who Fuck over so many wretched people' sort of way and I really just feel like a hypocrite, living in the house I do, the way I do... Getting in a car so damn often... Owning more than enough clothing... Even having this computer to type on, though it's not mine... I've always been bothered by all the hypocrisy... I've ALWAYS hated people who throw away food, ANY of it. It gets on my nerves to waste anything. I have to finish what have, and sometimes what other people leave because they wont finish it. And when I bake (a major hobby of mine) I scrape those bowls CLEAN because I don't want to waste any of it. And me and my sister don't flush the toilet 'tile it needs it and I wear clothes a few times before I wash them. But still, I do barely anything, and I think NY with the trains will help (no riding in cars) but my first step will be not to buy any clothing. I don't need any, and I wont be until every last thing I have falls apart years from now, and then I'll buy some fabric from a small business or from an individual who makes it for a living for themselves and make my own damn clothes. I might just become some what of a hippie when I grow up. You know, I've always found my attitude towards the world rather interesting because I've always lived in plenty, but I rarely feel I really need anything, or most, or what I have. I plan to live in very humble circumstances because any extra money I may have will go to someone who actually needs it. I just can't fucking stand assholes who have $135 million to throw around, and some people who have about 2 bucks. IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY! So this is the first step of many I hope to be taking to rid my life of so much hypocrisy. I don't plan on owning a car (or learning to drive) until we've moved on to environmentally friendly ones. Fucking breaking the record by 11 degrees is NOT okay with me.
So if this wasn't the longest thing EVER, I don't know what is. But that's okay, I just hope I'll be keeping it up for the next years. I'll leave you with a picture, a really neat one that Molly randomly found. I really really like it.

Watch for the Revolution. Then you'll understand. Then you'll see what I mean, and understand me.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home